Autumn Hinson | AJ Architects | Week 4

Monday (2/7/22):

I started work on modeling an adjusted design for a couple of duplexes on Cannon Street. The site has two existing single houses on the street and the back lot is where both duplexes are residing.

Total Hours (4:00) | AXP Hours – Planning & Design

Tuesday (2/8/22):

I continued work on the duplexes and I started a design for a screened stair element for 124.5 Cannon Street (one of the duplexes). The screen for the staircase is also used as a screen on the balconies to create a relationship along the front facade.

Total Hours (4:10) | AXP Hours – Planning & Design

Wednesday (2/9/22):

I continued work on the duplexes and lowered the roof height on 122.5 Cannon Street (one of the duplexes).

Total Hours (4:17) | AXP Hours – Planning & Design

Thursday (2/10/22):

I worked on modeling and designing the facade for a duplex on 124.5 Cannon Street for the first 30 mins of the morning and then we walked to a site at 186 St. Philip Street to meet with a structural engineer. The existing building at 186 was hit by a car and the city is requiring the building to be temporarily shored until demolition is approved. The meeting lasted for 15 minutes and then I continued work on 124.5 Cannon for the rest of the day

Reflection:

This week I took note on how secondary buildings on a site really need to be influenced by the original. In this instance, the two back duplexes received feedback from BAR about their height in reference to the original structures. Our approach to this was to lower the roof heights and line up the eaves to match the original. We hoped to reduce the square footage of the building but the client does not want to lower the number of bedrooms and that leaves us with reducing ceiling heights and lowering the eaves and roof.