Johnny Newell | Cobb Architects | Week 1

Project: Lowcountry Traditional Plan #LT-01

Project Mentor: Darryl Cobb

Monday (9-12-22) – AXP Hours: (4) Project Development & Documentation

I started off the week by making adjustments to the alternate website called High Tide Design Group. On this cite, we sell plans for different style homes for people who want custom homes, but do not want to go through the full design process. I started to make a 3-D model of a house on the Lowcountry Traditional Plans, so I could replace the old design.

Tuesday (9-13-22) – AXP Hours: (4) Project Development & Documentation

I continued to to work on the 3-D model.

Wednesday (9-14-22) – AXP Hours: (4) Project Development & Documentation

I started off the day by making some adjustments to a house render for a project we have on Seabrook Island. I had to add shutters to the house, and changes a few colors to match the clients description. When I finished with those changes, I finished up the 3-D model of the Lowcountry Traditional Home.

Thursday (9-15-22) – AXP Hours: (4) Project Development & Documentation

I started the day by showing the model to Darryl, so I could receive feedback on what is working and what is not. After reviewing multiple perspectives of the house, Darryl decided to make a few more changes to the rear porch and roof plan of the house. I then took his redline sketches, and began making changes to plans and elevations in AutoCAD. After I finished those drawings, I took it back into Sketchup and made those few changes.

Lessons Learned:

This week I learned time management, as I worked on a model and made adjustments to other projects. I learned that there is a ton of back and forth communication amongst the architect and the client throughout all stages of the design process. I have a better understanding on rules and regulations for houses that are to be built on Seabrook Island, and how the ARC maintains certain architectural aspects. I also learned a little about the design process, and what makes a house more ideal for clients needs.