Rustin Seyle | Bill Huey + Associates | 2/21 – 2/24

Monday 2/21, 8-11

Monday started out with an office meeting for the first hour, We went over the weeks schedule and talked about what we each did over the weekend. After the meeting I began to tackle the stairs for the house now that I had the second floor exterior walls in place.

Tuesday 2/22, 8-2

On my way into work from Charleston, Mr. Huey had me pick up drawings from A+E and deliver them to the board out in Seabrook Island. I did this for the first two hours of work. Tuesday was our “charrette” day (as Mr. Huey calls it.) In order to get a new client’s house started for a renovation, everyone in the office sits down in the conference room with current floor plans and a list of what the client wants and we each sketch our own new layout of the house. In the end we share our work and get feedback.

Wednesday 2/23, 8-12

Wednesday I finished up my second floor design from the charrette day before for the first two hours. From 10-12 we had a lunch and learn with a siding company from NJ who’s product focuses on replacing wood.

Thursday 2/24, 8-12

I was informed by Mr. Huey that the walls on the second floor of the project I had been working on could be expanded out to match the walls on the first floor. Our space on the second floor doubled, however we didn’t have any floor plans to account for this. I spent the day sketching and dimensioning possible new floor plans that could work now.

Lessons Learned:

I had never really sketched out floor plans of my own for a residential house, nor did I know many basic dimensions for things such as showers, hallway size, etc. I was able to listen to others and ask others and take their feedback into consideration when designing my own floor plan. It was interesting to see how everyone in the office had different ideas to all talk the same issues at hand.