Jeremy Eaton + Synchronicity | 9.21.20 – 9.25.20

My experience during week five at Synchronicity Land + Architecture. Weekly hours : 16 | Total hours: 64

Monday. 9.21.20

• Continued working on Mungo Homes – Merrill Gardens Construction Documents and DRB and reformatting drawings sets. Changed dimensions, fixed floor plan layouts to match configuration of other drawing sets. I reformatted some sheets and re-drew a garage door elevation.
  • I worked on updating graphics package for Noisette towns – the client wanted a watercolor brush watermark effect added. This style is typically shown on Synchronicity renders, but the client wanted it more exaggerated on their views.
  • Weekly meeting was fun. We discussed potential new clients and projects and set in stone our time we will be out of office and working remotely while office renovations happen.

1.5 hrs – General Office – Weekly Meeting, Random Office happenings – AXP: Practice Management

.5 hrs – Hunter Quinn | Noisette Towns –  Graphic Design, rendered views, added watermarks – AXP Project Development & Documentation

2  hrs – Mungo Homes | Merrill Gardens –  Construction Documents and DRB | Add. Service 2 – AXP Project Development & Documentation

4 AXP hrs total

Tuesday, 9.22.20

• We had a new client meeting this morning, so Ryan and I spent some time cleaning up the office. We’re still moving in / in between office renovations so we do our best to keep things organized and look more like a tidy mess instead of a mess mess.
  • I picked back up on Noisette Towns with Chandru and began reworking some kitchen layouts and elevations. I had the chance to use my cabinetry experience and use my own judgement in the layout. Like – Knife and utensil drawer next to the range so you don’t have to leave anything unattended on the stove when you need a cooking utensil. Or – refraining from using 18″ cabinets in corners so it doesn’t become a mess of pots and pans you struggle to pull in and out EVERY TIME. Those are better elsewhere and make kitchen organizing easier.

1 hrs – General Office – AXP: Practice Management

3 hrs – Hunter Quinn | Noisette Towns –  Construction Documents and Permit Set – AXP Project Development & Documentation

4 AXP hrs total

Wednesday, 9.23.20

• Continued working on Noisette Towns kitchen elevations and layout, picked up red lines for the permit sets for Building A, made some elevation changes to building A and fixed callouts, and printed sets for reviewing.

4 hrs – Hunter Quinn | Noisette Towns –  Construction Documents and Permit Set – AXP Project Development & Documentation

4 AXP hrs total

Thursday, 9.24.20

• Continued working on Noisette Towns kitchen elevations and layout, picked up red lines for the permit sets for Building E, worked on x-plans files for our output sheets (permit sets), picked up redlines on section drawings, added break lines to enlarged plans, and fixed viewport issues and print layers on various sheets before packaging together for internal review – then submission.

.58  hrs – General Office –  AXP: Practice Management

3.42  hrs – Hunter Quinn | Noisette Towns –  Construction Documents and Permit Set – AXP Project Development & Documentation

4 AXP hrs total

Friday, 9.25.20

• No work today. Friday’s are flex days for me if I need to make up hours or shift schedule.

Reflection:

This week was filled with many moments of professional mentorship. Both Todd and Luke are great at being honest and straightforward with the team when it comes to design preferences, managing client relationships, and maintaining a standard of work. We got to hear Todd explain his thoughts on parking in Charleston, traffic infrastructure, and land development and why we should be passionate about these topics in our city because of the implications they have towards the health of our community, as well as the work we do.

We also had moments from Luke where he took the time to explain why things are laid out the way they are in kitchens, relationships to windows, relationships to electrical, and how to safely and responsibly locate equipment that is both practical and pleasant to use in a home.

I appreciate that our mentors truly value our education and continuing education for staff. They never place blame, nor shame people for mistakes, but treat every instance as an opportunity to educate. I have yet to encounter a pair of professionals who would say (something along the lines of) ‘you probably don’t know this and I am sure I haven’t told you, so not a big deal that it is wrong. Here is what I know from my experience’ – Beyond these small lessons on professional practice I say I am learning a lot for the future of potentially being a boss or mentor.