Week 10.14.19 – 10.17.19

10.14.19 

• Did not work (out of town)

10.15.19 Project Planning & Design | Construction & Evaluation, 5 hours

• Helped out with BMH CT Redesign project that is phasing into CDs by working on casework elevations and details. The model is linked in to the project so I had to work in a separate file before syncing and then updating the link in the main project file. This caused for a little confusion and a lot of time wasted as the project synced and updated

10.16.19 Project Planning & Design, 5 hours

• Continued work on the BMH CT Redesign. Focused on bathroom elevations and worked with a coworker to decided on the correct tile height and orientation of the wainscoting

10.17.19 Project Management | Construction & Evaluation, 5.5 hours

• Internship meeting
  • Site visit to Matt O’Neill project (timber, non-sprinklered building) and wrote field notes
  • Updated CD documents for Hip & Knee project by adding casework to the reception area. I also checked over the enlarged plans and made sure that all of our details correctly corresponded to the elevations

Reflection

• The BMH CT Redesign project is a hospital and not an outfit project so I learned more about specific equipment and building regulations in healthcare. There are two rooms in the project that caught my attention, one tagged “CT 16 Slice” and the other tagged “CT 18 Slice.” I learned that slice is the number of images a CT scanner can take per rotation. So in the CT 16 slice room, the scanner moves slower and gives off more radiation. Therefore the wall types are detailed differently than the CT 18 Slice room to protect from the radiation.
  • While visiting the Matt O’Neill project, I learned the importance of field notes and what an architect should be looking for while on site – what items are not compliant with the design intent? It is not the architects job to say how the contractor should do something , just as long as it complies with the deign intent and warranty of the material specified. Some construction details I learned about specifically were draft stopping on the trusses, what a lula elevator is and how they frame it, and why the fiber cement boards on the exterior shell needed to be cut at a 90 degree angle and not a 45 degree angle (water!).
  • On a non-technical side of the site visit, I learned about the importance of writing everything down and taking a lot of pictures. We were talking with the supervisor as we were leaving the site and he was rattling off what was happening / what was going to be happening over the next few days on site. My coworker wrote everything down and later explained that if it’s not in writing, you have no way of holding the contractor and other people involved in the project accountable and responsible for their work or lack of work.