Sept. 24-27 @ SMHa

Sept 24 – Sept 27 at SMHa

Monday, Sept 26:

Today, I went into Sketchup to create a large site model of the future “Point Hope Amenities” complex being built in Cainhoy.  This is supposed to serve as an entrance to this community in Daniel Island.  Jeff Johnston is creating and in construction of many buildings for this site and the marketing director for Point Hope wanted help creating renderings for fundraising.  To do this, the man making the renders needed masses for each of the buildings.  So I was tasked with studying the drawings from each architect and creating buildings in Sketchup to make our own site model of everything that is going to be built there.

AXP Hours: 4 PDD

Tuesday, Sept 25:

Today, I continued in sketchup as well as studying construction documents from other firms doing buildings in Point Hope.  I finished two building masses and added them to our side.

AXP Hours: 4 PDD

Wednesday, Sept 26:

Today was the same as yesterday.  I slowly added and worked to create the village.

AXP Hours: 4 PDD

Thursday, Sept 27:

Final day for Sketchup!  I finally finished all of the buildings and arranged them in sketchup to be sent to the man doing the renders.

AXP Hours: 4PDD

Cainhoy Amenities

Pointe Hope Commons, Charleston SC, 29492Project Scope: One of our project architects is working on a few buildings for the future Point Hope commons project in Daniel Island.  Currently in construction is the Community Center designed by Jeff Johnston.  This projects entire scope includes a new Publix, new shopping center, new community gathering spaces, office spaces, apartment buildings, roads and circulation, parking, and landscaping.  Our firm specifically is working on 3 of those buildings.
Project Manager: Jeff Johnston
Role of Student:  I have assisted with creating 3D models of the future site in its entirety to generate renders for fundraising purposes.
What I have learned:

While I have never really worked in sketchup before, I really enjoyed it!  I think that this was a necessary task because this entire project has many architects, landscape architects, and designs that have no yet been put together anywhere to see what it would all look like together as a whole.  Being able to sit down and build each one of these really reminded me how important context is.  This also allows the architects and project managers to see how big this project really is.

While I understand it is not easy to understand what those of you before/after will build, maybe it raises the importance of the design of the first building when developing an area.  Maybe that building is the design that leads the designs around it.  Therefore it is important to make sure that similar designs, materials, and contractors are used for the buildings that follow to ensure a seamless connection between the buildings as if they were designed together.