Novus – Week Seven: Feb. 24th – 28th – Week Eight: Feb. 17th – 21st

My experience during week Seven at Novus.

Monday, Feb. 24th

• Weekly Staff meeting at 8:30 A.M.
  • Continued working on redlines for Hematology
  • I spent some time looking through accessibility standards and the code book to check compliance with our bathrooms, door clearances, and number of required plumbing fixtures. Everything appeared fine so far, but the initial check of these items was done some time ago and it was brought to my attention to take another look.
  • Prep for DD QC

.5 hrs – General Overhead – Weekly Meeting – AXP: Practice Management

1 hrs – Hematology/General –  Code analysis – AXP Practice management

3 hrs – Hematology – AXP Project Development & Documentation

4 AXP hrs total

Tuesday, Feb. 25th

• Continued working on Hematology red lines and sheeting. Site visit/ field measuring with Hadit for Hematology. Took photos of the existing space now that existing gypsum was removed and much of the space was clear of all the miscellaneous items that were being stored there.

.5 hrs – General Overhead 

1.5 hrs – Hematology –  AXP Project Planning & Design

1.5 hrs – Hematology – AXP Project Development & Documentation

4 hrs total – 4.5 AXP hours

Wednesday, Feb. 26th

• Continued working on DD-hematology. Introduced to new small project to do a quick 3D study of a potential vestibule/new glass storefront design to an existing health clinic.

1 hrs – General Overhead – Weekly Meeting – AXP: Practice Management

4 AXP hrs total

Thursday, Feb. 27th

• Switched off working on DD-Hematology. Began working on Access Health Entry Study modeling in Revit. Revit Tutorials on 3D modeling.

.5 hrs – General Overhead –  Revit tutorials – AXP Practice management

3.5 hrs – Access Health – AXP Project Development & Documentation

4 AXP hrs total

Reflection:

After weeks of working on construction documents, plan changes, and red-line work for a project that was started a few years ago and sort of in an ambiguous stage of submitting drawings to the client, I finally had the chance to see the space I was working on. Hadit and I visited the site today in which she gave me a lot of advice on working on projects like this one and how it is important to take thorough notes, measurements, and photos of existing buildings we create as-built drawings for. I think this week I determined how much I do not like designing / working on projects that I cannot visit the site / existing building prior to working on. This week I processed how disconnected from the project I was even after spending several weeks working on it. I am sure it will turn out a quality and finished project for the client and the whole team who works on it, but its experiences like these that help me hone in on the architectural work I want to be involved in.

My experience during week Eight at Novus.

Monday, Mar. 2nd

• Weekly Staff meeting at 8:30 A.M.
  • Discussed internship with Danielle
  • Discussed work on Hematology over the weekend/Friday, with Lee Ann and Hadit.
  • Continued DD / CD drawings (ambiguous project stages at the moment) and began looking at millwork elevations and coordinating details. Began revisions to the finish schedule.
  • Made more changes to reflect field measurements from last week.

4 AXP hrs total

Tuesday, Mar. 3rd

• Continued working on Hematology, spell check on sheets, adding notes and text call outs to details. Fixed finish schedule and added missing annotations to dimension floor plan, furniture plan, ceiling plan. Finished up reviewing sheets to the best of my knowledge in preparation for CD QC this afternoon.

1 hrs – General Overhead 

4 hrs total – 3 AXP hours

Wednesday, Mar. 4th

• Weekly medley/worship/ healthcare meeting. Very informative and productive meeting in my opinion. I feel a lot more connected to the endeavors of the practice and have gained a greater insight into ‘thinking’ like a professional. At least, more so than I have in other meetings.
  • Working on NEW redlines from CD QC for hematology.

2.5 hrs – Hematology – AXP Project Development & Documentation

3.5 AXP hrs total

Thursday, Mar. 5th

• Internship mid-term evaluation with Ashley Jennings and Danielle DeLorme. Very productive discussion, lots of feedback on performance, and goals moving forward with the final 5 weeks or so of the semester internship and beyond spring break.
  • Discussed the firm, my thoughts and opinions on the work I am doing and ultimately what I want to be doing.

1 hrs – General Overhead 

2.5 hrs – Access Health – AXP Project Development & Documentation

3.5 hrs total – 2.5 AXP hrs total

Reflection:

Mentors this week were huge for me. Between the team discussing the status of projects, the changing work loads stemming from a team member leaving, and setting aside time to discuss my future plans and my experience so far, I felt very lucky to be a part of the Novus team. I think the team handles unexpected disruptions to the work flow very well and have been extremely accommodating to me in fitting me in the workload so I can receive crucial experience for my architectural education.