Erin Doering | SMHa | Week 9

Projects worked – ENT South Mount Pleasant Renovation

Project managers – Jeff Johnston

11/07/2022 – Monday

AXP hours – 0

I skipped my internship to help install steel columns on our Community Build project on site with David.

11/08/2022 – Tuesday

AXP hours –0

I skipped my internship to go home and vote for the midterm elections.

11/09/2022 – Wednesday

AXP hours – 4 (Project Development and Documentation)

I continued my efforts on window and door details for the South Mount Pleasant ENT Renovation project. We used past projects to understand the assembly of the windows and doors and then integrated it into existing brick veneer and wood framed construction.

11/10/2022 – Thursday

I continued my efforts on window and door details for the South Mount Pleasant ENT Renovation project. I also attended a retirement party for one of the longtime employees of the firm, Steve.

Lessons learned:

The lesson I learned this week was more about life and practice than the technical or business aspects of architecture. Through Steve’s speech at his retirement party, I was reminded of the importance of time. Time feels slow most day, but when you look retrospectively, time can be fast and fleeting. Throughout time, the projects you build as an architect could be changed, renovated, or even torn down, but what remains are the relationships and culture you develop throughout your career. I’ll try to remember Steve’s lessons that he’s learned throughout his time as an architect and at SMHa as I evaluate my own pursuits and aspirations.