Erin Doering | SMHa | Week 10

Projects worked – ENT South Mount Pleasant Renovation

Project managers – Jeff Johnston

11/14/2022 – Monday

AXP hours – 4 (Project Development and Documentation)

I attended our weekly firmwide meeting reviewing what projects will need to be prioritized this week. I continued my efforts on window and door details for the South Mount Pleasant ENT Renovation project. I’m using past projects to understand the assembly of the windows and doors and then integrating them into existing brick veneer and wood framed construction.

11/15/2022 – Tuesday

AXP hours –4 (Project Development and Documentation)

I continued my efforts on the window and door details for the South Mount Pleasant ENT project. I also attended a charrette for the Point Hope development project in which we are tasked to help find inspiration and design bird houses and free little libraries for the community.

11/16/2022 – Wednesday

I finished the door and window details for the South Mount Pleasant ENT project and began working on redline changes for the project’s permit set deadline next week.

11/17/2022 – Thursday

AXP hours – 4 (Practice Management?)

BIM 360 was down all day so I used my internship time looking at the ARE study material I found in the firm’s server drive. I read through information about Construction and Evaluation, answering practice questions along the way.

Lessons learned:

The lesson I learned this week was about the power of a good old-fashioned design charrette. Its a great reminder why I was intrigued by the professor of architecture in the first place- that inspiration is everywhere and that collaboration is truly what makes a design and a project successful. Everyone at the table brought different ideas, concepts, and styles that I wouldn’t have considered if I were to design myself.