Brooke Young | Design Division | Week 3

Monday (09-26-22)

Today I was invited to listen in on a meeting considering the future design of the Low Battery. The design/engineering group presented 3 main concept ideas to which the other participants critiqued and made design comments regarding hardscape vs softscape, elevation changes, maximizing green spaces and avoiding obstructing views to the water.

Work Period: 1:30PM – 5:30PM

Tuesday (09-27-22)

Today Morgan and I discussed the prompt discussion and how Design Division doesn’t face typical obstacles or operate under the typical structure a traditional private sector design firm does, due to a variety of reasons. Following our meeting, I continued to work on reiterating and refining the breakwater axon for the USACE 3x3x3 card deck. I focused primarily on how to depict the wave dynamics that this barrier type causes and how that should be showed.

Work Period: 1:30PM – 5:30PM

Wednesday (09-28-22)

Today I continued to refine and reiterate the breakwater axon graphic for the USACE 3x3x3 card deck. I primarily focused on the graphics regarding the wave dynamics and the physical details of the breakwater structure. I then moved onto creating a first pass for the back of the breakwater card with a plan drawing. Morgan meet with me at the end of the day to review the graphics and give crits.

Work Period: 1:30PM – 5:30PM

Thursday (09-29-22)

Today I reviewed a past concept proposal for a location in West Ashley, conducted by Design Division and AIA Charleston. I took notes regarding the proposal and its research of the site in order to get a better understanding of the project for an upcoming meeting. I also reviewed Design Divisions proposal and research on the Low Battery to further get a better understanding of the project for an upcoming meeting.

Work Period: 4PM – 5PM

Reflection

This week I focused my efforts on refining the breakwater axon graphics for the USACE 3X3X3 card deck. Due to crits I’ve received last week, I reiterated the graphical style to fit an audience without a design background and illustrated the water dynamics of the breakwater to become more visually informative of how the breakwater barrier type works. Through the meeting I attended for the Low Battery, I’ve gotten a better understanding of how a team of varying professions interact. I’ve also noted how different comments/crits from people outside the studio are given/received vs my fellow co-workers from within the studio.