Nick Oxendale | SGA – NW Design | Week 5 | 2/14 – 2/18

Like during my 4th week, my 5th week was spent primarily at the Joseph Floyd Manor building.  As the scope of the project increased so did my time and activities.  Our initial project had expanded beyond the initial water damage.  Along with the internal renovations, we were now working on exterior.

The north staircase appears to be in dire condition, so we need to need to contact an engineer to get rough estimates on costs and spans of beams for the renovation. This staircase was not a part of the original floor plan, therefore I had to go out, measure it, and update our existing plans. My mentor, Mike, is the Project Manager for this project. Once Thursday came around, I had to print out all the updated plans and give them to him. So yes, I did AutoCAD plans and tracing all week. Our office’s draftsman, Maimi, helped me with x-references, and created a proper and consistent layout for us to print out and give to the contractors. My boss mentioned that we will go on site next week to perform measurements and double check the floor plans a final time before we send them out.

A104_21-230-02_Joseph Floyd Manor-second floor

Besides working on the JFM building, I sat in on a couple of meetings with developers and clients. As part of my goals, they understand I’d like to sit in as many Architecture + Landscape meetings possible. I earned 12 AXP hours this week. 5 hours in Project Development & Construction, 3 hours from practice management and sitting in on my supervisor’s meetings.