Mahogany Christopher | McMillan Pazdan Smith | Week 5

February 28th, 2022 

I began the workday without the weekly Monday 10 meeting. I had the opportunity to get into researching different materials, their typical uses, typology, and efficiency.  I then spent the remainder of the day taking a stab at learning how to do COM Checks and finding out the overall energy efficiency of a building.

March 1st- 2nd, 2022 

Continuation of COM Checks. After figuring out the areas of the envelope areas,  I came out successful, with a building that was 3% better than the code!

March 3rd, 2022 

I helped make the building massing for some of the surrounding context of a site. The goal was to show that the said structure won’t be as tall as some of the other buildings near.

Total Hours: 16

AXP Categories: Practice Management, Project Planning and Design,  &  Construction and Evaluation.

Lesson’s learned: The process of getting calculations to prove the safety and efficiency of a building. It also proves to higher-ups and surveyors that the architects have taken the initiative to study those factors. The importance of context to help aid your case as to why you make certain design decisions.