Lindsey Sinisi, Week 9.28.20 – 10.01.20

LS3P & Associates

Monday: 4 hours / Project Planning & Design

On Monday I spoke with the Interiors team for Robert Smalls and was tasked with pulling inspiration photos for exterior compass roses in cement; monumental accent stairs, specifically using colored metal panels; and historical maps and nautical charts of the Beaufort and Charleston areas. I compiled all of the photos at the end of the day for the Interiors team to comment on.

Tuesday : 4.5 hours / Project Planning & Design

After getting direction from the Interiors team, I began to sketch and brainstorm ways to use the nautical charts as terrazzo patterns for lobby floor. I began working in Illustrator to map out how the rivers would be positioned and scaled. We also had our weekly design team meeting for Robert Smalls, where we got an update on everyone’s progress and current assignments. We discussed the new exterior renderings, commenting on how the brick coursing needed more detail and shadow, and overall the facade could use more color to make it more geared to children.

Wednesday: 4 hours / Project Planning & Design, 1 hour / Project Development & Documentation

I spent this day working completely in Illustrator, using the maps I had found to create detailed diagrams of floor pattern options. It was fun to use skills I had learned in school to my advantage in the workplace. I created different options, showcasing which map it was based off of and using different colors to designate waterways, land mass and different depths of water.

For an additional hour, I sat in on a Design Conversations meeting, which is a design charrette that invites any employee of LS3P to participate, regardless of whether you’re in Specs, Interiors, or Architecture. Today the charrette was a brainstorm for a donor plaque for the Charleston Airport Parking Garage and Pedestrian Tower and Bridge. I was particularly interested in this because of my past history with the project. It was a little nerve wracking to speak up with my own ideas among the architects and higher ups of the firm, but I eventually did and it was a great experience. I definitely plan on participating in more of these in the future.

Thursday: 4 hours / Project Planning & Design

Today I learned how to apply a decal in Revit to put a wall graphic on the wall of the monumental staircase in the lobby. I also worked on creating new sheets along with elevation and enlarged plan views to go on them. I spent some time talking to Kameron about new assignments and a direction to go in for the lobby diagrams, which I will start first thing on Monday.

Total AXP Hours: 67 hours 

Reflection: 

This week was fun because it took me out of the weeds of redlines and construction documents and into the world of interiors and schematic design. I got to really be creative and not afraid of Value Engineering (for now). There were some frustrating times when different people had differing opinions, causing me to re-do things and have an unclear direction. That is for sure a lesson in delegating tasks and making sure everyone is on the same page.