Week 9.16 – 9.19

9.16.19 Practice Management | Project Management | Project Planning & Design, 5 hours

• All staff meeting
  • Updated the finish material boards for two healthcare projects
  • Reviewed upcoming projects with my project manager
  • Updated schematic layout of Tenant Upfit project

9.17.19 Practice Management | Project Planning & Design, 5 hours

• All staff sponsorship meeting
  • SD pricing package – worked on updating the narrative, the drawing layout, and graphics

9.18.19 Practice Management | Project Planning & Design, 6 hours

• Architectural active projects staff meeting
  • SD pricing package

9.18.19 Project Planning & Design | Construction & Evaluation, 6 hours

• SD pricing package
  • Informal meeting with coworker in charge of CA to review CD drawings and code requirements

Reflection

• One thing that really stood out to me this week was the supportive firm culture at Novus. The sponsorship meeting initially brought it to my attention. Different from a mentor, a sponsor within the firm is supposed to help you grow as an individual outside of work (which in turn will help you perform better at work). They act as a friend and counselor, not just a colleague. Once this support system within the firm was on my mind, I started to notice it everywhere. For example, in the architectural staff meeting, our principles would talk about the myself and other non-project management employees as the support team for a project. We discussed what everyone had on his/her plate and what the best plan of action would be in order to meet specific deadlines. It was very reassuring to see this positive and supportive firm culture.
  • Revit is absurd. On Thursday, my coworker (who is transitioning to become the BIM manager in the firm) and I problem solved about 3 different issues I was having with Revit. The main issue was not being able to have a color fill legend on a reflected ceiling plan. Throughout our half hour to an hour of problem solving, he taught me small tips and tricks that will help me be more efficient with the program. I also learned a little bit about how Revit “thinks” and ways to work around the software.
  • Communication is key! I already knew this but am always finding reasons and situations that reinforce the idea. I get in to the office around 7:15am, a good two hours before my project manager arrives. Therefore I’m becoming more adept with talking to her before I leave each day so that she knows where I stand with work and what I’ll be able to accomplish before she arrives the next morning.