Phil Riazzi: Weekly Entry – 02.23.19

Daily Entries

02/18/19 – Monday

Time: 8:00am – 12:00pm (4hrs)

Tasks: Door schedule, storefront details, door and head jamb details for a new firehouse

AXP: Project Development & Documentation

02/19/19 – Tuesday

Time: 8:00am – 12:00pm (4hrs)

02/20/19 – Wednesday

Time: 8:00am – 12:00pm (4hrs)

Tasks: Enlarged deck plans and exterior handrail details for a new firehouse

02/21/19 – Thursday

Time: 8:00am – 12:00pm (4hrs)

Summary

This week, I continued to focus on construction documents for a new fire station on James Island. I continued to develop the door schedule, head and jamb details, assembly types, and storefront details. Midweek, I transitioned to developing enlarged deck plans and handrail details. This involved coordination with the structural engineer’s drawings. It was good experience coordinating the information a structural engineer shows on their drawings vs. what an architect shows on theirs. A common mistake project teams make is overlapping information which almost always leads to inconsistencies and potential change orders. Overall I felt like it was a very productive week. I’m learning a great deal about exterior detailing which was one of my goals for this semester.

Work Sample

Project Title: James Island Fire Station 1

Project Location: Folly Road, James Island

Project Scope: New fire station

Project Manager: Alison Dawson

Role of the Student: Production

Description of Images: I chose to share a sample of handrail details I’ve been working on. There are two outdoor decks on this project, on the east and west face of the building. On the east side of the building, the deck is less than 30″ above adjacent grade so a guardrail was not necessary. On the west side of the building, one corner of the deck is above 30″ so we developed a guardrail section that could transition into a handrail at the ramp.