Novus – Week One: Jan. 13th – Jan. 17th, 2020

I began interning for Novus Architects in mid January. As you may notice I am a little behind on updating my experience so far. But, I have been keeping track of the things I have been working on and learning. Here is how my first week went!

Tuesday, Jan. 14th

I began my first day of internship and was introduced to most of the office by Caroline, our office manager. I took an office tour and was given a crash course on all things happening at Novus, insight on the branch offices and future plans here at Novus. Afterwards I met with the HR Director, Crystal, to review some paperwork and get me set up at my desk.

Shortly after I met with our Director of Finance, Kelsey, to go over timesheets and logging hours for projects. The last person I met with today was Will, head of our IT department, where he ran through some basics of my computer and got me set up with the programs and info I needed to start working. Lastly before I left for the day, I took some time to review our employee manual and familiarize with office and project standards.

• First day of Internship.
  • Toured office. Met with HR director, Crystal
  • Met with director of Finance, Kelsey.
  • Met with IT, Will
  • Read through Novus employee manual

3.5 hrs – General Overhead

No AXP hours gained

3.5 hrs total

Wednesday, Jan. 15th

Today began with my introduction to the Medley/Worship/Healthcare team via the weekly team meeting that is generally held every Wednesday morning. This meeting we discuss schedule, workload, and progress on various projects.

I am very new to REVIT. Novus is very much successful at using REVIT and working efficiently with the program throughout the office. So, I began REVIT tutorials with Andrew, our BIM Manager, and it is a world of difference learning a tool from a professional who teaches the program well. He has really made it easy for me to jump right into complicated projects. During the tutorial I had the opportunity to listen in on a call between Andrew and a GC as an “Invaluable lesson” in maintaining professionalism and grace even when information is mis-communicated or the chain of submitting products/materials is disrupted. I Learned how Novus typically requires submittals and the expectation from contractors to then respond to those submittals. Even more so this was an opportunity where I was invited to learn those “soft skills’ associated with the practice.

I also began my first task working on a Hematology clinic finish out. I’ll likely stay on this project for a few weeks doing red-line work, making changes in the Revit model, and attending various meetings with my Project Manager, Lee Ann.

• First team meeting with the Medley/Worship/Healthcare team.
  • Began BIM/REVIT introduction. General overview of how the office uses BIM and organizes. (Andrew).
  • Opportunity to listen in on a call/discussion between Andrew and a GC regarding a submittal.

2 hrs – General Overhead

1 hrs – meeting – AXP: Practice Management

.5 hrs – observing – AXP: Construction & Evaluation

.5 hrs –  Hematology – AXP: Project Development & Documentation

4 hrs total

Thursday, Jan. 16th

Today was more of the same, Revit tutorials. I am learning a lot about the program and am super impressed in the management style that the office uses. It is a bit or a learning curve for me but I believe by the end of the semester I could be quite proficient at the program.

• Revit tutorials.. Learning basic and helpful commands. TL= thin lines for better visibility. Sync = updating both local model and central model. Best practice for multi-office firm that frequently exchanges projects, has multiple team members contributing, and to also share with consultants using BIM.
  • When drawing wall types the default command assumes building in a clockwise nature, so the ‘exterior’ side of the wall is always outside – going clockwise. You can also change this, so not an absolute.
  • CS = copy similar, which is handy in copying objects from one room to another. Revit default ‘hosts’ objects, components, and information to a constrained room. Dragging or simply copying may host an object in a different room while appearing to be in another room. This can complicate or result in misplaced information within the model. Furthermore this strategy sets you up for better results in creating schedules, tagging objects, etc. for documentation.

1.5 hrs – General Overhead

2.5 hrs – Hematology – AXP: Project Development & Documentation

4 hrs total