Mackenzie Abernethy: Weekly Blog Post #1

North Charleston Aquatic Center : Sign
North Charleston, South Carolina
Project Scope:  Entirely new building designed by SGA Architecture to be a competitive swimming complex.  Documents and construction began in 2017, but they broke ground in 2018.  The sign design and drawings started in 2018, and are being continued presently.
Project Manager:  Beth Novak
Role of Student:  Rendering, building, and detailing the sign in Revit. Details were explained to me by Mentor, Don Baus.

What I have learned:

This week emphasized the idea: “Architects need to know a little bit about everything”.  My Mentor, Don, was just a designer to me before this task.  Soon he made me realize that the building components of design are just as important as the creative process.  The success of a beautiful design falls into the amount of detail you are able to communicate in your drawings.

I learned how to specifically use the detail view of Revit this week, as well as how to add details from our company’s database.  It was confusing to begin, but I have grown to become familiar with this form of drawing.  Finally, I had a rendered view for the structural engineer made so he could better conceptualize how we wanted the sign to look when it was completed.