Seth Moore: Datum Workshop- Week of 2/28

2/28 (4.5 hours)

On Monday Brian and I began work on some exterior column signage for another architecture firm in the area: The Middleton Group. We have a few projects that we are collaborating with their firm on, but these signs are for their new office space. While working on this project I learned accurate CNC router maneuvering by use of a remote control and about the aluminum material that the panels are being cut from. 

Towards the middle of the day Brian and I ventured out to see how installation was progressing at Credit One Stadium. While there, I helped construct scaffolding to aid in lining up the panels correctly at the higher portions of the wall. We also used a chalk line to mark the datum along which the panels would be aligned. 

3/1 (4 hours)

On Tuesday Brian and I began to paint the Middleton Group signs that we cut out on Monday. We had to do some maintenance on the spray paint nozzle for a while before the paint was released at a consistent pressure and spread. Once we got it working, the panels took on a lovely blue color.

I finished out the day by finalizing some cuts for the last PVC panel to go on the wall at Credit One. 

3/3

I took Wednesday off to recover from a long night at studio preparing for our final design review at Frierson Elementary.

I returned Thursday to continue work on the Middleton Group signage with Brian. We discovered an issue with the LED diffuser backing panels that he had cut on Wednesday: one of the seams was visible where the letters were cut out of aluminum. We made an adjustment to the length of the backing panels to hide this seam. After resolving this issue, the work progressed swiftly and we secured all aluminum pieces to their backing panels. 

We finished out the day by eating lunch with some of my peers who intern at Liollio along with Brian’s wife Liz, who is an architect at that firm.