Brooke Young | Design Division | Week 11

Monday (11-21-22)

Today I continued to work on the Market St bike lane infrastructure project. I focused my efforts on infilling existing street context into the master plan, ranging from crosswalks, to loading zones, to parking, to buffers. This consisted of using my newly learned software knowledge in ArcMap and Google Earth to draw as accurately as possible to the existing conditions. I was able to complete the existing plan drawing from Meeting St to E Bay St.

Work Period: 1:30PM – 5:30PM

Tuesday (11-22-22)

Today I continued to work on the Market St bike lane infrastructure project. I focused my efforts on infilling existing street context into the master plan, ranging from crosswalks, to loading zones, to parking, to buffers. This consisted of using my newly learned software knowledge in ArcMap and Google Earth to draw as accurately as possible to the existing conditions. I was able to complete the existing plan drawing from Meeting St to Logan St. I also sat in on a Bloomberg Initiative for Cycling meeting with a few of my coworkers within the planning department. The focus of the meeting was what we felt needed to be portrayed/focused on in the application for the grant. Some focal points being the implementation of the HAWK signal at intersections, the Maryville Bikeway Crossing project, and the Ashely River Crossing project.

Work Period: 1:00PM – 5:30PM

Reflection

This week I focused my efforts on completing the Market St bike lane infrastructure existing conditions plan. During my time on the Market St project and while sitting in on some meetings focusing on bike infrastructure, I’ve learned an extensive amount about bike infrastructure and how it relates to the public realm.