Jennifer Jonson | LS3P | Week 7 (42)

WEEKLY ENTRY

10/23/2022

• Time Worked: 6pm-10pm
  • Tasks Performed:
    • Holiday Inn Charleston
      • put together floor plans for key floors
        • work on room color schemes
        • add program labels to floor plans
          • Work Accomplished: Project Planning & Design

10/25/2022

• Time Worked: 8am-4pm
  • Tasks Performed:
    • Holiday Inn Charleston
      • bridge new elements with the old conditions
      • fix restaurant and suite floors
      • fix floor plans

10/27/2022

• Time Worked: 8am-12pm
  • Tasks Performed:
    • Edisto Community Center
      • update floor plans of rec center based on redlines
      • create building elevations
          • Work Accomplished: Programming & Analysis

LESSONS LEARNED

RECORDS OF WORK

Holiday Inn Charleston (project planning & design)

• Project Location: Charleston, SC
  • Brief Description: The firm recently secured a hospitality project in Charleston, SC. The hotel will be renovated and the building’s exterior will be reskinned using more contemporary materials and systems. The project is currently in the conceptual design phase. The building has fourteen floors, and the top floor is a restaurant & bar lounge.
  • Project Scope: Refine revit model. Manage the project in BIM.
  • Project Manager: Thomas Jasper
  • Role of the Student: Create floor plans for key floors. Add room labels and color schemes to plans. Refine the model of key floors. Meet with my mentor.
  • Experience:
    • For this week, I was tasked with refining the revit model and generating floor plans for client review. I also added room labels and color schemes so that the client could visualize the new elements of the building that are being added. I found it very difficult to read the plans since they are from the 1970s. Whenever the plans did not include dimensions, I measured distances using Bluebeam. The pdf file did not have a designated scale, so I had to calibrate it myself. As I worked through the plans, I needed to carefully monitor the 3D view to ensure the walls were placed on the right levels. I also continued to manage the project in BIM, ensuring the project file was organized since I was assigned the BIM lead for this renovation project. Overall, I am excited to continue working on this renovation project. I am used to working on one-story community centers, but it has been an interesting experience working on a multi-story building. Additionally, I am gaining a different perspective with working in Revit and Bluebeam.

Edisto Island Community Center (programming & analysis)

• Project Location: Edisto Island, SC
  • Brief Description: Over the summer, the firm secured a project for a community center on Edisto Island which is a ProBono design. The Edisto community contacted the firm for additional drawings and refinements to the rec center. This project is currently in the early phase of design.
  • Project Scope: Refine revit model of rec center.
  • Project Manager: Thomas Jasper
  • Role of the Student: Update floor plans of rec center. Generate building elevations for rec center.
  • Experience: The Edisto Island Community Center project was a Clemson studio project that I was fortunate enough to take part in the spring semester. LS3P took on this community project as ProBono. Due to my extensive experience working on this project, I was tasked with continuing my work for the Edisto Island Community Center. Over the summer, the project was secured, so it is still in the early phase of design. For this week, I was tasked with refining the floor plans for the rec center based on the redlines I was given. Additionally, I created building elevations for the rec center. Overall, I am grateful that I was asked to continue working on this community center because I am gaining a different experience. This project is an interesting experience for me because the project is pro-bono, so I am being exposed to a different aspect of design that I never had the opportunity to take part in yet until now. The project is community driven which is vastly different from the other projects I worked on at this firm. So, I am excited that I am broadening my knowledge about architecture through this project.

Holiday Inn Charleston

Holiday Inn Ground Floor Plan
Holiday Inn Second Floor Floor Plan

Edisto Island Community Center

Edisto Rec Center Redlines