Erin Doering | SMHa | Week 6

Projects worked – ENT South Mount Pleasant Renovation, James Island Presbyterian Church Fellowship Hall

Project managers – Jeff Johnston

10/17/2022 – Monday

AXP hours – 4 (Practice Management)

I began the week with our firm weekly meeting to see what everyone was working on. I then listened in on a preparation meeting for an interview the firm was attending in the afternoon for the James Island Presbyterian Church Fellowship Hall. We went through the presentation slides and graphics with the Trident Construction team, whom we are partnering with for the proposal. The team meticulously reviewed the wording and graphics of each slide, making sure their presentation was of the highest quality in order to persuade the committee to chose the team for the job.

Site Plan for John’s Island Presbyterian Proposal
Program Diagram for John’s Island Presbyterian Proposal

10/18/2022 – Tuesday

AXP hours –4 (Project Development and Documentation)

I was given markups for the South Mount Pleasant ENT Renovation project as it is headed into the Construction Document phase. I mostly adjusted the partition types from past ENT projects to convey a wood stud assembly instead of the conventional metal stud assembly that has been used in past projects by this client.

10/19/2022 – Wednesday

AXP hours – 4 (Project Development and Documentation)

I finished up markups for the South Mount Pleasant ENT Renovation project as it is headed into the Construction Document phase. I edited plans, sections, and seismic RCP details.

10/20/2022 – Thursday

AXP hours – 3 (Project Development and Documentation), 1.5 (Project Management)

I reviewed partition types for the South Mount Pleasant ENT Renovation project to prepare for a CD Submittal by November 1st. I also helped draft a signage elevation for the street. I then sat in on an OAC meeting to discuss exterior and interior finishes, signage, and entry walkways.

Lessons learned:

This week I learned how much preparation goes in for a project interview. By sitting in on a preparation meeting with Trident Construction, I witnessed the collaborative effort in preparing for a presentation and communicating verbally and graphically with a potential client. When presenting to a potential client, it is imperative to mention the project team’s relevant experience that would benefit in the design and construction phases. Wording the presentation to infer that the project would be a collaborative effort that would address the clients goals and desires can be an instrumental way of winning a project through interview. Calculating an estimated cost and schedule based on the client’s expectations and square footage estimations can also be beneficial to communicate the possible logistics for the project.