Brooke Young | Design Division | Week 6

Monday (10-17-22)

Today I focused on completing the Low Battery Phase 4 Concept presentation. This task included, labeling the individual concept graphics, writing a brief discription to elaborate on the differentiation between the concepts. This needed to be done in a way that would be understandable and highly diagrammatic for the engineers reviewing the presentation.

Work Period: 1:30PM – 5:30PM

Tuesday (10-18-22)

Today I continued to work on the presentation material for the Low Battery Phase 4 Concepts. Reiterations on the material were made based on critiques received from my mentor. This task included refining the individual concept descriptions, altering font size/color to be more easily readable, and naming each concept a catchy name in order for those reviewing the material to be able to keep track of the different concepts.

Work Period: 1:10PM – 5:30PM

Wednesday (10-19-22)

Today I continued to work on the presentation material for the Low Battery Phase 4 Concepts. Reiterations on the material were made based on critiques received from my mentor. This task included refining the catchy titles for each concept. Afterwards, I worked on the Peninsula 3x3x3 Study by first revisiting the project outline given in August. I then started working on producing barrier type axon graphics for a Combination Wall, Combination Wall with fill, and a Combination Wall with a walkway.

Work Period: 1:20PM – 5:30PM

Thursday (10-20-22)

Today I continued to work on the graphic material for the Peninsula 3x3x3 Study. I focused on completing the Combination Wall barrier type axon from Wednesday and starting a Living Breakwater barrier type axon. This graphic was more difficult and time consuming than the Combination Wall graphics because of the level of detail required. The Living Breakwater graphic needed to depict the wave dynamics caused by the barrier, the structural detail/material used for the barrier, as well as, the habitat supporting units (tide pool unit & pore space unit). I then attended a meeting with my mentor, a co-worker within the Planning Department, and residential architects within the West Ashley area to discuss planned future development projects in West Ashley.

Work Period: 1:20PM – 6:50PM

Friday (10-21-22)

Today I meet with a co-worker within the City of Charleston Planning Department to discuss community engagement. In particular, we focused on knowing what type of questions are good/bad to ask the general public vs the city vs the mayor, wording that might come across negatively, how to word questions in a way that reveals peoples true answers, and basing the questions around the outcomes you’re looking to get out of the interaction. I then continued to work on completing my first iteration of the Living Breakwater graphic that I started on Thursday.

Work Period: 1:10PM – 3:30PM

Reflection

This week I was able to work on varying projects/tasks that helped me gain insight as to what it’s like to be working on multiple projects at once vs the traditional academic studio setting. This has pushed me to manage my time more efficiently and understand myself better in terms of knowing how much I’m truly able to take on within my time limit. This week has also allowed me to grow my outside connections to the Charleston design community.