RJ Gross| Beau Clowney Architects | Week 3

09.13-09.16

This week I worked a total of 16 hours and earned 16 AXP hours.

I worked on a few projects near the Battery in Downtown Charleston. These Projects were renovations. One project we are redoing the kitchen and went on site to meet with the Contractors. We talked to them about how much room we had after the demolition and how we would fit  a window in an opening the contractors found when they demoed a wall. I also went to multiple sites this week to put up our signs. This was a great experience, as I was able to see multiple projects at different points of construction. One project on Sullivan’s Island was very interesting because they not only lifter the house fifteen feet but also rotated the ranch style house 180 degrees so the back of the house faced the ocean. When we got back to the office, I was shown the done footage of how it was rotated using a large truck and trailer. For this project, the back of the house had a later addition, which we demolished only keeping the original structure (shown on historic maps and photos). We are adding a large addition to the back of this including a back screened in deck to view the ocean from. Based on the drawings it looks like our addition is 75% of the whole structure. I have added an image below of the original ranch style house that was lifted and rotated.

Overall, this week was great experience not only working on multiple construction drawings but also getting to see projects at different phases of construction.

Rear View (used to be front) Covered due to demolition of old addition
Front View (used to be rear)