Jeremy Eaton + Synchronicity | 11.16.20 – 11.20.20

My experience during week thirteen at Synchronicity Land + Architecture. Weekly hours : 20.25 | Total hours: 192

Monday. 11.16.20

• OH NO. After only a day back in office we had to pack up and go back to remote working. Over the weekend our mentors reached out and notified of a coworker testing positive for COVID-19 and we were all exposed to it on Thursday last week. We took shifts this morning entering the office alone to grab our workstations.
  • Continued working on Marina store for a few hours.

1 hrs – General Office – Weekly Meeting, Random Office happenings – AXP: Practice Management

1.5 hrs – Shem Creek | Marina Store – AXP: Project Development & Documentation

2.5 AXP hrs total

Tuesday, 11.17.20

• Navigating working from home once again.
  • Continued working on Marina Store
  • Began working on Unity Alley concepts for the Old McCrady’s Tavern, McCrady’s restaurant, Minero that shut down due to Covid’s impact on the restaurant scene.

.75 hrs – General Office – Weekly Meeting, Random Office happenings – AXP: Practice Management

1.75 hrs – Shem Creek | Marina Store – AXP: Project Development & Documentation

2.5 hrs – Unity Alley | Proposals – AXP: Project Planning and Design

5 AXP hrs total

Wednesday, 11.18.20

• Continued working on Unity Alley Proposals and created egress diagrams and conceptual space planning for a redesign proposal.

4.25 hrs – Unity Alley | Proposals – AXP: Project Planning and Design

5.25 AXP hrs total

Thursday, 11.19.20

• Client requested changes for mungo project. Trying to help out the team to finish this project out before I wrap up my internship hours.

2.5 hrs – Mungo | Merrill Gardens – Construction Documents and Add Services – AXP: Construction Development and Documentation

1.5 hrs – Unity Alley | Proposals – AXP: Project Planning and Design

5 AXP hrs total

Friday, 11.20.20

• Conceptual sketching for Unity Alley proposal.
  • Saying bye to the team virtually, wrapping up time sheets.

.5  hrs – General Office – Weekly Meeting, Random Office happenings – AXP: Practice Management

2 hrs – Unity Alley | Proposals – AXP: Project Planning and Design

2.5 AXP hrs total

Reflection:

It was an absolute dream come true to work out some concept planning of the McCrady’s tavern complex as a potential new project for Synch. Sadly, those cluster of restaurants have closed down and it looks unlikely for the complex to be another viable restaurant post-covid. Way before choosing graduate school and Charleston I considered Sean Brock – McCrady’s, McCrady’s Tavern, Husk, Minero Etc. – as one of my culinary inspirations. It was so cool to just conceptually work out what could become of the remnants of his legacy at Unity Alley while thinking about all of his successes.

This was my final week at Synchronicity. Unfortunately it was spent in the last week of quarantine from exposure to COVID-19. Although I didn’t get the chance to properly discuss the semester internship experience with the SYNCH team and my mentors, they encouraged me that I was great to have as a part of the team. It was a strange semester where everyday seemed to provide something new and unexpected. The flexibility I needed daily this semester was a practical training that I never expected to receive. Between office renovation delays, covid quarantines, and unrealistic expectations of my studio this semester that intruded into this internship time, I think I learned quite a lot and worked very hard for the Synchronicity team to the best of my capabilities.

I believe I left a good impression and the team invited me to keep in touch and let them know how my semester projects end and how projects go next semester. They truly are interested in the education of architects both professionally and academically.