Ryan Bing @ Synchronicity – Week 2: 9/7-9/10

This work week actually kicks off on Tuesday 9.08.20 due to the observance of Labor Day. Tasks for that day include making some updates to annotations for CD elevations for a multi-family residential project in North Charleston off of Noisette Creek. First time working in Sketchup’s Layout, and for straight forward small projects like this one, so far I think it has distinct advantages. The simplicity the Sketchup model to Layout work flow is compelling and one that I wish I had actually known about early on in grad school.

Wednesday 9.09.20 was an interesting day and a good insight towards some of the variability and dynamics of working in a small firm (my last internship was with LS3P). After filling time assembling furniture for the better part of an hour, we interns were pulled to quickly make dimension adjustments on a series of plans that were submitted to Mungo Homes several times already. The expectation that those changes would be delivered as soon as possible shows a little bit about the speed and flexibility of a smaller firm, which is engaging and a fresh change of pace.

Thursday 9.10.20 I continued to work on updating the dimensions in the plans for Mungo Homes, which, combined with roof plan undates as well, took the whole morning to wrap up.

Thoughts: This week was good in the sense that I am starting to feel comfortable in this small office environment, and also in learning new work flows. I am interested by the pace of work here and the desire to uphold a strong standard of efficiency. The closeness of the office environment also makes it quite interesting in the sense that it is more natural to be well informed on all of the projects and the changes that occur from phone call to phone call or site visit to site visit.